- This feature is no longer available to add to a TSheets account.
- This feature only works in the U.S. and Canada.
- The additional cost is $1.50 per month, per employee that is actively using this feature.
- Each employee must clock in and out using their own phone number (Employees). The system cannot distinguish between two employees using the same phone to clock in and out.
- Employees must have the Mobile time entry permission to use the Text-in feature.
Complete the following four steps in order to set up clock in via text message.
Install the Text Message Add-on
- In TSheets, in the left menu, go to Feature Add-ons > Manage Add-ons.
- Scroll down to Text Messaging, and click Install.
- In the Text Messages Preferences blank field, type I Agree, and click Get Started.
- Click SELECT next to your chosen phone number, and record the number. This is the number that employees will dial to clock in and out.
Set Up Short Codes
Short codes let employees clock in to specific jobs or customers.
Note: Short codes and aliases must be no more than eight characters in length. If you also have the dial-in add-on installed, you will be asked to use digits for text messaging short codes and aliases.
- In the Text Messaging Preferences window, click Assign Short Codes.
- In the Manage Job Codes (or Customers) window, to the right of the job code/customer, click the pencil icon ().
- Enter a short code, and click Save.
Set Up Aliases
Aliases let employees enter information into custom fields, such as Billable, Supplies, Mileage, etc.
- Go to Feature Add-ons > Custom Field.
- To the right of the custom field, click Edit.
- Next to the item, click the pencil icon ().
- Enter an alias, and click Save.
Print a Cheat Sheet for Employees
- Back in the Text Messaging Preferences window, click the blue Printable Text Messages Cheat Sheet link, and print or save it for your employees.
- If you haven't already, provide the employee with your TSheets company URL (for example, companyname.tsheets.com), their username, and the phone number you were just assigned.
- We suggest that you provide the employee with the following link: How to Clock In, Switch Jobs or Customers, and Clock Out via Text