Projects is currently in Beta. Please reach out to our support team if you are interested in participating. Using Projects, you can set up time estimates to track the progress made on a project. You can break your estimates down by individual tasks, or keep it simple with total hours.
How to Install the Projects Add-on
- Because Projects is in Beta, please reach out to our support team if you would like it enabled in your account.
- Once it is enabled, you can go to Projects in the left-hand menu.
How to Add a Project
- In Projects, click + Add Project.
- Do one of the following:
- For non-QuickBooks-integrated accounts, enter a Project Name, then choose the job or customer the project is for.
- A Project can only be assigned to one job. Once saved, the job assignment cannot be changed.
- The Project will appear in Manage Jobs as a child of the assigned job and labeled with (Project) to differentiate it from any other sub-jobs.
- For QuickBooks integrated accounts, choose an existing sub-customer from the provided list to use it as a project.
- Projects from QuickBooks Online Plus will import automatically.
- To add a new project that is not listed, add that project as a sub-customer in QuickBooks first, then import.
- If desired, add project start and end dates to have a timeline for your project.
- If dates aren’t added, the Date Progress bar will remain empty.
- Click Add Project.
How to Add an Estimate
- In a project, click + Add Estimate.
- Under “estimate by”, choose Total Hours, or select a Custom Field list to divide the hours by list item.
- Note: Once saved, the estimate type cannot be changed.
- Do one of the following:
- If you chose Total Hours, enter the total hours projected. Any timesheet tracked against that project will count towards those total hours.
- If you chose a Custom Field, click Add Item. Select an item and type the desired number of hours for that item. Continue for as many items as needed. All time tracked for this project will count towards the total hours, but will be visually broken up by item.
- Click Add Estimate.
How to Edit an Project and Estimate
- To edit a Project:
- While viewing the Project, click > Edit Project.
- Make your changes and click Save.
- To edit an Estimate:
- While viewing the associated Project, click > Edit Estimate. Or, click above the Actual vs. Estimated progress bar.
How to Track Time Against a Project
Projects will look like any other sub-job to employees. When clocking in, they will select the parent job or customer, then select the project to clock in.
How to Manage In-Process Projects
When viewing a Project's details:
- Progress bars:
- ACTUAL VS ESTIMATED - hours worked progress. The number of hours worked are on the left, the total hours estimated are on the right, and hours remaining is on the far left.
- DATE PROGRESS - if a projected date range is added, it will display the start and end dates and a visual of how much time has elapsed.
- ESTIMATED tab:
- This tab displays the Total Hours or the Total Hours per Custom Field item.
- Each line shows the estimated hours, how many hours have already been worked, the progress in percentage, and the remaining hours left to work.
- Click each line to see the hours broken out by employee.
- TOTAL HOURS tab:
- Displays the total hours worked by each employee.
- To Complete a Project:
- Select In progress > Completed.
- To Delete a Project:
- Select In progress > Delete.